Saturday, May 11, 2013

We live our lives on a feeling

PaleoBaby
I think I've written this same post 5 or 6 times over the past 8 years I've been blogging.  (8 years!).  I read a post by Cathy Zielske that's been rolling around in my head.  She's struggled with the hard work of losing weight and getting healthier, and her therapist-type person told her that she:
simply keep(s) this a problem in my life because it allows me to act like a child and indulge every whim rather than do what is needed, which is to feed my body healthy, nutrient dense food in appropriate amounts and to exercise.
My first thought was "damn, she's paying someone to say mean things to her?!".  And then my second thought was "Huh, I think that applies to me too."

I'm smart.  I know what I need to do to lose weight (a staggering amount, after this second pregnancy).  I am lucky enough to even know *exactly* how I need to eat, and that I will feel *incredible* when I eat the right things and get just a little bit of exercise.  

For me and my PCOS, diabetes-family-history self, the Paleo diet works best.  Doing the Whole30 back in Oct 2011 was really transformative for me - I had a TON of energy, needed only 7-8 hours of sleep, and felt mentally clear and just *ready* for whatever life was going to bring.

So who wouldn't keep doing it, with those fabulous results? It would be stupid to stop, right?  But I did. It was a gradual process, and I've still kept some good habits, so it's not a total loss.  But it started with just one plate of French toast, and continued down the slippery slope of "I've got 2 little kids now and I'm starving and the Taco Time drive-through is easy."  

I was angry about having a restricted diet and felt that with all the transitions in my life lately, I "deserve" to eat what I want.  But I'm a grownup.  I'm in charge, and making the choices.  I shouldn't feel like "someone" is forcing me to eat healthy against my will.

I'm not a person for whom "everything in moderation" works.  I need ironclad rules.  I also HATE food journaling with a passion.  Whole30 and on a larger scale, Paleo, meets all these needs. No counting, no hunger, and all the (sustainably, humanely sourced) bacon a girl can eat.

I am starting fresh today with my second Whole30.  So if you see me in person, help a girl out.  Don't bring me cake or ask if I want to see the dessert menu.  And most definitely do not order me a diet Coke if we're meeting for lunch.  

I feel good about this.  I'm mentally ready to do what's right for me.  I know it's going to be hard, especially at weekend breakfasts out.  But I do not want to arrive at my 40th birthday (looming!) still fighting with myself about weight and wishing things were different.  So here's to DOING.

12 comments:

  1. Good luck! I know that I struggled a lot more to stay on a regular routine with my diet until I finally got my celiacs diagnosis. Now that I know what makes me sick, and due to a desire to avoid those symptoms, I am much better about keeping track of my diet. (That said, it's really easy to drift off and eat things that are 'carby' when I know it shouldn't, so you have my sympathy on that front, too.) The younger one will be managing a small garden over the summer, though, so I'm sure that'll give us incentive to eat lots of veggies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when I just barely passed the glucose test during this last pregnancy, it was easy-peasy to eat the right things for the rest of the time. My doc was shocked, actually, when I told her I just cut out all grains and sugar - the results were so good.

      My problem is planning ahead. I usually don't eat until I'm STARVING and then it's bad news because I'll shovel in whatever is close.

      Delete
    2. I've worked around that by spending Sunday doing cooking. That way there is soup, an egg bake, yogurt, sometimes pre-cooked meat...all that for the week. It also saves a lot of time. And I hate to admit it but I buy a lot of pre-cut lettuce and fruits (as well as easy fruits to carry with like oranges and bananas). But I can see that it would be hard to spend part of a whole day cooking when you've got a couple little ones to look after.

      Delete
    3. @Cherish - actually that's a really smart plan! I try to do it and fail, but Sunday would actually be a great day to cook since TJ is around to help w/ the kids. T is pretty self-entertaining when she wants to be, so I can get some cooking done when she's around.

      Delete
  2. Good for you! I too am struggling but starting tomorrow morning at 5am I am back to kicking this problems butt. The alarm is already set and the decision has been made. I'll be cheering you on from NY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you girl! How hard is this really? How can we -- smart women -- complain about something and then not take the steps we KNOW we have to take to fix it? We can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting on the Whole 30. I probably should drink less coffee and wine, but I need carbs. When I eat them, I have a lot more energy -- e.g. for running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Laura - there are tweaks for people doing hard workouts and running that get more carbs in the form of fruit and starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes. I think they do it specifically by adding extra snacks before a workout and afterwards.

      Delete
  5. Ugh, I'm terrible at planning ahead, and have been feeling like a big baby about it all. Thus, that therapist comment you quoted hit me pretty hard, and has been sticking with me. Fodder for more work, for sure. Thanks for writing, and here's to meal planning! (still ugh.)
    Lisa F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I read that post early last week and it just stuck in my head. Meal planning sucks, but has been worth it for us, because it takes one more decision out of my head each day. (Not to mention we're eating out less and eating better too.)

      Delete
  6. I've read so much about this Whole30---might have to look into it. But, alas, I am stuck in the land of excuses for my bad habits. I really really want to re-vamp my diet but not sure which direction I want to go---I do feel better when I'm eating in moderation, vs. low-carb, low-fat, low anything. I've tried low carb and I had a constant headache & was exhausted. I prefer to eat minimal meat. I hate sweet potatoes. Etc...
    Giving up sugar intrigues me. I might try it and see how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you really want to stay away from meat, you might Google "Eat to Live". It's a pretty strict vegan "diet" and I have no doubt it works, but it's a lot of work to prepare.

      The first couple of weeks of giving up sugar and grains is always hard but after 2 weeks, it's really amazing, I promise :)

      Whole30 will be hard if you're not a huge fan of meat or sweet potatoes. I eat the sweet potatoes and more fruit when I need more carbs - it's technically not "low carb" as much as it is getting rid of the nutrient-lacking carbs.

      Delete

I love comments, so please leave me your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

sharing is nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails