Sunday, January 06, 2008

I got no patience and I hate waitin'

Look what followed us home yesterday:



We decided to keep him. You can read all about our long day of car-buying on TJ's blog.

Yeah, I like driving a big car. If Peanut were a car, he'd be the 2008 Dodge Nitro R/T.

And TJ forgot to give me props for my mad negotiation skillz, which saved us $370 and got us a price that was even lower than our initial offer, as crazy as that sounds.

We went into the dealer with our offer - invoice price for the vehicle itself, plus the destination charge, but minus all those other stupid things that dealers try to stick to you (shipping fees, loyalty programs, gas?!). We presented our offer, and the 'sales manager' had to go 'see what he could do'. He came back with some hazy explanations about not making money on the dealer holdback because they brought this particular car from another deal. (Ask me why I care, since we didn't request this.)

So he presented us with the Chrysler partner program price which was $364 higher than what we came in with. TJ was wavering at this point since he hates negotiation, and it wasn't enough money for him to continue the unpleasant process. So we asked the dealer guy to let us discuss this for a minute in private. It felt very much like the attorney-criminal whispering sessions in Law and Order.

I said that this dealer was not likely to lose a deal based on $364 and we didn't really need a car so we could just walk away. TJ was unsure, but decided to play along and hold firm on our number. Turns out, I was right, and the dealer actually ended up taking off $370, so we got an extra $6 off. Awesome!

While the negotiation is yucky, I actually don't mind doing it. However, TJ hates it and also makes me feel like a harpy when I get on my "no crap from you, salesman" attitude on, so that makes me unsure. He thinks I come across as too confrontational, but I think it's because he doesn't like even the hint of disagreement or conflict. I just don't feel like I need to be overly friendly or volunteer info that will definitely be used against us later.

We have an agreement now that I'll take care of the negotiation next time we do this, which will be several years down the road. But for now, we'll be driving our big pimpin mobile around town. It's so HOT.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, ma'am. Whatever you say ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting...didn't realize TJ was so averse to negotiation and confrontation. I think you did the right thing :) It's something I've been trying to work on for a long time now, especially at work where you're supposed to be assertive and all. Funny thing is that now I'm two different people -- one at work and one at home.

    Nice shot of the Nitro -- all black and shiny and bold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the 'no crap from you, salesman' line. And congrats on getting the car for $6 less than what you'd intended to pay. And belated happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like 'santa' was very good to you this year - diamond earrings and a car?!?! You must have been really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a pretty sweet ride! Congrats!

    I'm also a fan of the large car and I love to drive our full-size pickup. Although, I admittedly don't love to fill up the tank, which is why it sits all lonely-like in the driveway most of the time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE negotiating with car guys...especially as a single woman. They "assume" that without a grunting man by my side I can't possibly know what I'm talking about. Hah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ll - I know you think assertively, so you just need to put that into action :)

    @ambika - Happy New Year to you too!

    @sycamore baby - Yes, Santa was *awesome* this year. Though technically this one is TJ's car to drive around in, plus I don't drive to work.

    @wendi - why doesn't it surprise me that you guys have a full size pickup?? :)

    @jenn - I can only imagine what you had to go through when you bought your Mustang. I had a horrible experience buying my Harley several years ago. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I went on the Dodge website and built one for myself. Looks a lot like yours, but dark blue. I can totally see you driving that thing! K$

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave me your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

sharing is nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails