Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Be careful who you love

Another yummy performance on American Idol by David Cook. Mind you, the judges didn't seem to realize David himself didn't come up with this arrangement, that it was the Most Fabulous Amazingly Talented Chris Cornell (from Seattle, I might add) who originally came up with this crazy acoustic version of Billie Jean.

But all in all, it was a riveting performance. Again. This dude with the potato head rocks!



Not a great version of the video, but I didn't want you to have to sit through the usual AI fluff bits that go around the song. Again, we give thanks to Tivo so we don't waste our entire lives away...

And oddly enough, this song had been on my mind for the past week or so. I have the 25th Anniversary Edition of Thriller CD in my car. I practically wore out the record in 1983 on my Fisher Price record player, and was "thrilled" to see they were releasing a new version this year for the anniversary, since we didn't have it on CD.

I'm stunned that 25 years later, my favorites still stand out. "Billie Jean" and "Beat It" are just as rockin as they were when I was 8. Now that's impressive. Also more impressive was that just a few years ago, I found out it was Eddie Van Halen playing guitar on "Beat It". So even at the age of 8, I recognized great rock music!

I still can't get over the power of music to make me happy and remind me of old times (good and bad). I hope I never have to live without it. I think it's probably genetic because my parents both love music (of course, it's totally different music) and even they travel to see their favorite performers live. It's just that their favorites aren't Finnish heavy metal bands!

Which reminds me, the concert calendar for May and June is filling up - 4 shows in about 5 weeks! Dream Theater in Seattle, Nightwish in Las Vegas, Rush at the Gorge, and Iron Maiden in Seattle. I am so totally stoked about going to the Gorge. It's a legendary concert venue and despite living in Seattle for 8 of my 30-odd years, I've never been there. I can't wait. And of course, I'll report back!

What concerts are you attending this year?

3 comments:

  1. I love Chris Cornell!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nightwish in Las Vegas? *cries*

    We're going to see Ego Likeness and Voltaire on April 14th and Apocalyptica on April 18th. Both at El Corazon. They haven't announced opening bands for Apocalyptica--just "Plus Guests." Jerome takes this to mean that Till Lindeman (Rammstein) and Cristina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil) will be there to sing vocals on the songs they sing on. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave me your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

sharing is nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails