Monday, August 29, 2011

You are the only one I see

Alone In This Together

I worshipped at the Church of Star Anna and the Laughing Dogs Saturday night at the Triple Door in Seattle. As you already know, the Triple Door is my favorite place to see a show. I've seen Vienna Teng there many times, and the last time we saw Star Anna there I was HUGELY pregnant.  Feels like a lifetime away.

I thought about writing an actual review of the show, but I didn't take any notes, don't remember the exact setlist, and really, that's just not my style. So instead I'll just capture some of my thoughts about the show, which was probably my favorite of all of theirs that I've seen. Um, except for the time they played in our living room.

If I had seen Ty Bailie (piano/organ guy) play when I was a kid taking piano lessons, I would have practiced more and probably would still be playing now.  Not only is he really, really good, but he looks like he's having a great time doing it.

You know it's a good show when the songs are running through your head when you wake up in the middle of the night.  Kind of like when you drink too much and you wake up still drunk, only without the bad hangover part ;)

The Triple Door was PACKED.  I think these guys are going to become huge rock stars and we'll get to be those annoying people who say "oh yeah, I knew who they were back in 2008 and they played in the local clubs". 

We are officially OLD.  We discussed this with our friends Hans and Doyle who saw the show with us.  Sitting in a nice booth, with our fancy drinks and Wild Ginger food is far better than standing for 3 hours in a grungy bar, hoping that the drunk guy nearby doesn't spill his beer on you.

My favorite song of the night was their last one - "High Water" from the new album.  Their performance was just so full of awesome that I can't find the words to describe it.  I've managed to brainwash BabyT and she likes that song in particular, so yesterday we listened to "High Water" on repeat for the entire 20 minute drive to my parent's place.  Every time it ended, she'd say "Mama, High Water again."  And you know I don't like to disappoint her...  It's a good one for singing along.  Just don't pay too close attention to how sad the lyrics are.



So, despite the fact that we've had a couple of weeks that have been so busy that I've had my own personal toddler-style meltdown, this was a bright shining evening that fed my soul for the weeks to come.  And I can't wait to see them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please leave me your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

sharing is nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails