Monday, September 12, 2011

handcrafted life plan, installment 4

My online dreaming class starts today.  Yippee!

I've been taking a ton of training at work lately, because I needed to renew my Project Management certification this year, and it requires about 45 hours of continuing education every 3 years.  But all of those courses were practical and of course, work-related.

This one is just for me. And like most classes I've been to, they ask why you're there. Except here it's more deliberate - not just idle curiosity, but to consciously articulate what we expect out of the class.

Mondo Beyondo Dream Big

So here's why I'm taking it:

I want to figure out what my dreams are and how to create a life of joy for myself. I’m practical, analytical, and skeptical so it’s really hard for me to allow myself to dream big dreams. I want to set a great example for my daughter on how to create the life you want, not one filled with “should” and “supposed to”.

I'm really excited about the next 5 weeks.  Laura told me it was nice to have something little to do for herself every day.  I also love that it's not required for me to be social or "share" with the rest of the class - I can do all the exercises myself, and keep it to myself.  Or share when I feel like it.

Also, it's been a week since I started my health goal.  How did I do?  Well, my weight is at its lowest since mid-2009, so yay for that.  I was 7 for 7 on tracking my weight daily, but only 4 for 7 on tracking my food.  Did I mention that I hate tracking food?  Sigh.  But I can only improve on that front, so here's to another week.

But the simple act of writing out my goals has helped me be a LOT more focused on it than I used to be.  I even wrote it up on the whiteboard we have in our kitchen.  (Yes, after Caltech, I can't live without a whiteboard in my home. Or several.)

Well, enough navel-gazing for today.  T and I have a busy day, with a trip to the library, Trader Joe's and the park.  *That's* the life I want.

2 comments:

  1. Lol. I have a whiteboard in my kitchen, too. =) I'm looking forward to hearing more about the class (whatever you decide to share). I, too, would describe myself as practical, analytical & skeptical, and worry way too much about what I "should" be doing. I'm not quite to the point of figuring out what to do about all of this, but I'm really enjoying your recent posts as you try to figure it out for yourself. Maybe it will give me a push in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Di - thanks! I think my project management training has made me WAY too practical - I can't seem to entertain really bold thoughts if I can't clearly see the path on how to get there. So I guess I'll have to overcome that :D I'm looking forward to starting the exercises and having fun with them!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave me your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

sharing is nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails