It's a trick I learned from my friend N, who I worked with ages ago - she'd email herself to-do lists each day, and since we live in our email at work, it was a good place for the lists to be front and center. But it becomes unwieldy.
I love Microsoft OneNote. Love, love, love. But I use 3 different computers regularly, *and* my (now Android) smartphone. And I didn't know how that would work with OneNote since the notebooks were usually saved locally. But in OneNote 2010 there's a really easy, built-in way to sync with Windows Live SkyDrive, so you can access your notebooks anywhere. That's EXACTLY what I need. Except that I haven't made time to sit down and set up a personal notebook.
Things I want in that notebook:
- A place to stash URLs to projects or crafty resources with some notes. I could keep chucking them in my Favorites/Bookmarks etc but I can't make notes there to remind myself of why I saved it, or what I want to do with it.
- My daily, weekly and monthly task lists. I need to get a little more structured about chores, especially the maintenance stuff like doctor checkups, swapping disposable contacts, giving the dogs their flea protection, downloading/processing photos from cameras, etc etc. I may chuck these all into a Google Calendar specifically for that purpose since it might be better to actually schedule time/days for these things.
- Vacation notes. We have SO MUCH to do before our Ireland trip. I also want to make a short list of the things we want to see there so we can plan our day trips. I'd also like a compact place to keep things like the address and phone number of our house rental, our local cell numbers, flight info, etc.
- Personal projects and to-dos that aren't urgent. Potential blog posts. Unfinished craft projects that I'd like to get done eventually. Expiration dates for unused Groupons (also need to put them on the calendar).
- Ideas for activities to do with T. I have a ton of books with age-appropriate home activities for learning and fun. We never do them because I rarely remember to plan ahead. Maybe a sort of "lesson plan" for more fun things to do at home once a week or so.
- A living Mondo Beyondo list that I can refer to often and update. There are things I can check off the list I posted on the blog, and new things begging to be added.
- Some way to store passwords and links to the accounts I use regularly. This one freaks me out so I need to figure out the right solution for it that's secure but also can be accessed from anywhere.
- Meal planning. A list of what we should *always* have in our fridge/pantry. A stash of easy, standard meal ideas. Why this is so hard, I don't know. But I haven't yet gotten it together and I swear THIS will be the year.
This is on my to-do list for the weekend of Jan 20-22. Why then, you ask? Because I am taking my Mama Weekend Away. It's one of the items on my Mondo Beyondo list. The magic just keeps happening. I finally *asked* TJ for the time, and he agreed, and I've actually scheduled it. Before Mondo Beyondo, it was an amorphous "someday maybe" idea. Now it's happening. Next week. Me, a fancy hotel room, big plushy bed, no alarm clock, free wifi, and a spa. Heaven!
|borrowed from www.panpacific.com|
It's a little retreat to get my thoughts together and plan the upcoming year. I obviously have the big things laid out already but I need some time and space to really get down to business and plan and organize the details.
So. If you had a weekend like that, how would you spend it? If you were putting together a notebook for yourself, what would you include? What am I missing?