Thursday, March 08, 2012

Diary of a Mad Fat Girl: BlogHer Book Club Review


Stephanie McAfee's Diary of a Mad Fat Girl is the 3rd BlogHer Book Club book I've read, and it was OK.  Another easy read, I finished it in a couple of days, but I felt like it lacked substance.

But honestly, I think it's not *trying* to be a deep, meaningful read.  It's the kind of book you'd read on an airplane or on vacation while sipping a fruity drink with an umbrella in it.  If you read it with that expectation, you won't be disappointed.

The "good" characters were likeable.  The "bad" characters had no redeeming qualities and were pretty cartoonish.  The author does a good job of sprinkling in Southern flavor throughout, to the point where you can feel the sticky humidity and taste the (overly) sweet tea while reading.

There were a few spots where I laughed out loud - the dialog between some of the characters is downright hilarious.  The plot is simple but full of "You go, girl!". 

I didn't feel like the main character's romance was very realistic, or maybe I'm just too far from the drama of my 20s to understand why she'd leave the guy she was living with because she saw him talking to another woman, rather than asking him about it first.

I could empathize with Ace's struggle with her weight, but it seemed to only manifest itself when it was convenient, unlike for example, Bridget Jones's Diary, where it was an undercurrent through the whole book that drove the actions of the main character.

But overall, Diary of a Mad Fat Girl was enjoyable.  I didn't have to force myself to finish it, and I was genuinely curious about how it ended.  

I was compensated for this review by BlogHer Book Club but the opinions expressed are totally my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please leave me your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

sharing is nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails