One of the more pleasant things about pregnancy is daydreaming about what to name the offspring. I recently discovered Swistle's Baby Names blog, and though many of the names are not my style, I still love reading through it. However, my always-practical husband refuses to engage in any serious name discussions until we find out the sex, which is still a good 6 weeks away. So I'm on my own here.
But I can safely share with you a handful of names I love, but we sadly won't be using.
1. Xavier - I've loved this one for a long time. As an added bonus, there's a university called Xavier which means instant personalized clothes! But TJ strongly dislikes it. I'll never get him to come around.
2. Felix - Yeah, I've got a thing for names with an 'x'. TJ is meh about this one too, and since our last name starts with a hard 'C' sound, this one doesn't work too well anyway. Sad.
3. Evangeline - I'm pretty sure I heard this one even before Lost, but it's got way too much of a Christian religious vibe for us to ever use it. Which is sad, because it just sounds so lovely to me.
4. Brinjal - OK, this one really isn't a name, and anyone Indian is probably giggling at me. It's the Hindi word for "eggplant" so it's probably not a good choice for a name. But it sounds to me like a thousand tiny bells. (I know, I'm nuts. But I love the way some words sound!)
5. Maya. See also Asha and Anjali. When I was pregnant with BabyT I had high hopes of finding a really cool "crossover name" - one that was both Indian and American, that was easily pronounced and spelled. All of these fit the bill. And nearly every Indian family in the US has figured that out too. Besides knowing people my age with these names, I can also come up with about 7 little kids (and a dog!) with the same ones. So they're out.
I'm hoping for similar inspiration this time as we got last time with BabyT. I'd prefer something NOT in the Social Security Top 1000 list (ever), but also don't want something totally made up or spelled uniquely for its own sake. A tall order, I know. But we have 6 months, so I'm not worried.
What about you? Got any discard names to share? :)