Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Sanford: 8.5 x 11 Scrapbook Layout

After making that last scrapbook page, I wanted to do more.

I had a story to tell about Sanford, our little fox friend from IKEA who was purchased to be T's lovey (and solution to her sleep problems). Alas, that didn't work, but she liked him. He came to Ireland with us last year and became my first ever Instagram photo subject.

T gave him (well, all 3 of "him") to BabyM earlier this year to help her sleep. M loves chewing on his nose as she's falling asleep and I got a great picture of her sleeping with him.

Click to see larger photos.

Sanford, 8.5 x 11 layout

I had a vision of putting the three photos in a strip but the orientations wouldn't quite allow for that. I tried to create visual triangles with the gold items and the black accents.

Tab cut from American Crafts gold foil cardstock

My favorite Dear Lizzy paper makes another appearance!

I like playing around with the elements on the pages - it's like solving a puzzle about where things should go and what should be added or removed. I don't always know why I'm doing it, but I have a Spidey-sense of what looks right or wrong.

This started with the bright and lovely Citrus Twist May scrapbook kit along with a few items from my own stash - the black and white script washi tape to match the awesome Snippets Thickers letter stickers, and the gold foil "hello" tab and paper doll strip I cut on my Silhouette Cameo (love!).  I also used the cute Blinks of Life gold-foil journaling card from the June Studio Calico Project Life kit.

Learning to layer was my goal here, and I had to consult some online galleries to see how different people approached it - what do you do when everything starts looking too square and blocky, or what happens when corners don't quite match up.

I don't love this as much as my previous scraplifted layout. I'm discovering that I like a lot of whitespace and repeating elements. I have trouble with asymmetry and things not being straight, though I need to work through that to avoid making really boring pages.

But the cool thing is I'm starting to figure out my preferred style. And the only way to get there is to practice, aka, make more.  Yay!

13 comments:

  1. This is so awesome Anandi. I notice your page sizes keep creeping up, 8x8 now 8.5x11..heehee. Glad you are enjoying it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, I noticed the same thing. I *almost* attempted a 12x12 tonight but stuck with 8x8 because I didn't want to start a new album :D

      Delete
  2. Well done in stretching yourself! It's so great to read all the enthusiasm in your post. I personally think finding your personal style is something of an exciting element of art and you seem to be catching on to yours faster than I did to mine. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love discovering my personal style. Mine with most things in life is very boring but that's me :) with a dash of colour here and there to keep things interesting.

    Love that T gave Sanford to M :) Such sibling love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. really cute layout, fun to read about your emerging style and how you are breaking through your comfort zone to find what works and what doesn't!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great layout, and I love the baby and the fox! Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your layout, the colors, the design, the story, everything !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable photos and fun story! I love that thickers font. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know. I'm resisting the urge to buy a pack every time I see them somewhere, since I've only used them once so far. But I LOVE them so much.

      Delete
  8. Such cute photos and loved your story. Loved all those details you added to your page, it's just great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. just fabulous the way you put together your page using the May CTK kit

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave me your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

sharing is nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails