Saturday, August 11, 2012

Project Life: July 2012

A few weeks ago at the Studio Calico papercrafting forum, I posted my dilemma about journaling in my Project Life scrapbook.  For those who are not papercrafty, "journaling" is just a fancy way of describing photo captions, explanations and any other memory-capturing text that one adds to the page.

I find myself drawn to clean, symmetric, neat designs - check out Cathy Zielske's Project Life (she's a professional, so her pages look amazing).  It looks like a magazine!  I love it.

So I thought maybe I should switch from handwritten to printed journaling.  A few weeks ago, I printed some captions on decorative labels from Martha Stewart's line at Staples and they look awesome.  But it was a hassle to download the template, get everything set up correctly, then go down and print them on my fancy printer.  I'm not sure spending *more* time on the computer is what I need.

I also think that having my handwriting in the album is more personal since we so rarely handwrite *anything* anymore.  So for now I've decided to do some printed journaling and some handwritten captions.  Click each photo to see a larger version.

July 2-8: My Mondo Beyondo Dream Lab, cake fail and art projects

July 9-15: Good Dog Carl park, Zeek's pizza, TJ's ride to Mt St Helens


July 16-22: Baby Beluga joins our family, lots of art projects, Red Robin for dinner

July 23-29: Road trip to Portland

I'm proudest of the Portland layout.  I used the Studio Calico Elmwood Park kit so it has a more cohesive look.  I'm definitely going to try to use more coordinated papers for the rest of the year.  I also love how the computer journaling looks.  It was a pain to get it formatted correctly in Microsoft publisher, but a snap to print on my fancy printer.



Detailed view of Week 4 crafty bits

I love the 9-slot page protector from We R Memory Keepers that I got as part of a multipack. The slots are the perfect size for Instagram photos if you print them 4x4".  I like to print them a bit smaller so I can fit some craftiness around them.

TJ pointed out that the rest of the year is not going to fit in the binder I bought to store my pages, so I've decided to consolidate to 2 weeks per 2 page layout.  Which will be a little less stressful when BabyX' arrives, anyway.   I'm also working on a separate mini album for our Portland trip since I took a lot more photos than I've put in that week's layout.

As you can tell, I'm all fired up about craftiness right now, which is great.  I just wish it extended to things like organizing BabyX's clothes or room...

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I'll be doing much computer journaling any time soon, but it looks great! Love the us in numbers card too. Using the kit really does add cohesiveness too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the computer journaling was kind of a pain so I'll use it sparingly, or when I have a longer story to tell. But it looks so nice to me ;)

      Delete

I love comments, so please leave me your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

sharing is nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails