Usually these things come to me when I'm not actively thinking about them. For 2012 mine was REDUCE. And while the main event in 2012 did not fit with the theme (adding a new family member), I was true to this in other ways:
- Got rid of all of our unused knives and the space-hogging knife block
- Went through kitchen, kid clothes and toys and donated a bunch of stuff we don't need
- Started to purge craft supplies I won't use
- Took a hard look at priorities and how I spend my time
Most of these are works in progress that I will continue in 2013. One thing I didn't get to at all was weight loss, since I was pregnant in most of 2012. But I know what I need to do, and that's the big thing I want to tackle in 2013 since I'm not getting any younger.
So the word I've chosen for 2013 is MINDFULNESS.
I know it sounds hippy-dippy, but I really need to focus on my priorities, rather than just mindlessly surfing the web or eating what happens to be on the kitchen counter, to name just a few examples. I want my life and my career to be meaningful, and not just "float" or "survive" to the next day. Time has sped up 100x since I had T in 2009 - she's changing so quickly. And don't even talk to me about how my tiny newborn is a huge 15-lb 3 month old already!
Things I need to tackle:
- Spending time "Internetting" vs. doing what I really love, like crafting, seeing friends IRL or improving my photography
- Making actual plans with our family (our Holiday Fun List was a success) and friends
- Setting concrete goals for the year and posting them conspicuously
- Buy only what we really need and what gives us genuine happiness (stop buying random Target crap and eating out because the fridge is empty)
- Eat food that fuels my body and makes me feel good
- Exercise just a little, and work up to a lot, in a way that also makes me feel good
Piece of cake, right? Have you thought about your goals for 2013? Got a One Little Word you'd like to share? How did you do in 2012?
|your OLW will probably be deeper :)|
I made some necklaces and keychains handstamped with a word for friends who did this with me in 2012. I'm up for doing this again in sterling silver, nickel silver, golden brass or copper. Let me know what you have in mind or contact me through the 'email' link on the blog. This year, I'm also setting aside time to make one for myself.