Thursday, December 27, 2012

And if you ever saw it: December Daily-ish 2012

So there's this *thing* among scrapbookers called December Daily, which originated with Ali Edwards.  Typically, you take a photo-a-day and make a mini scrapbook album to document the days leading up to Christmas.

As I mentioned before, photo-a-day projects stress me out, because inevitably, it's 11pm, I haven't taken any photos, and I end up with one of a napping dog or maybe my shoe.  So I knew my December "Daily" was not going to be traditional.

My holiday season starts on Thanksgiving weekend and goes through New Year's Day, so I'd want my album to include those things too. Since I am weak-willed, I bought Studio Calico's VERY expensive December Daily Kit which included everything: album, page protectors, tons of embellishments, paper, etc. Of course, this didn't stop me from buying MORE stuff because "it would be perfect for my December Daily".

I quickly decided on a color scheme - aqua and red (how trendy!) and downloaded some super-cute printable daily journaling cards from Hello Forever. I've been faithfully recording something for each day, including our Book Advent selections.

But I just COULD NOT get started on the album itself. First, I wanted to finish my 30 Days of Thankful album. Also, I had so much stuff for the album that it became overwhelming and I started to feel guilty about my craft supply overload. And part of it was just that we are so darn busy with two little kids and MAKING the memories that I didn't have much time or energy to sit down and figure out how to document them.

But now that Christmas is over, I am feeling a little more relaxed and able to focus on what I want for the album. Last week I took a couple of hours to visit my friend J for a "crafternoon". It gave me the time and space to go through all my supplies and decide what I was really going to use for this project. I also sat down with my trusty notebook and planned out some of the pages and pictures. My title is going to be "Home 4 the Holidays" because we're now a family of 4 (people) and this holiday season was all about staying close to home and starting our family traditions.

Home 4 the Holidays - the spine.
Last night I finally got crafty. I faced my fear of "messing up" the beautiful cream cloth-covered album, and decorated the spine of the book with gorgeous red seam binding, a fabulous Martha Stewart Office bookplate, and some of those awesome Studio Calico wood veneer shapes.  I still need to print a small label for the bookplate, but otherwise, the spine is done.  (Gotta start somewhere, right?)   And please forgive the less-than-perfect photos. I'm trying to use my new DSLR for these, and the depth of field + page protectors is giving me a real challenge.

I had all my journaling cards complete through Dec 26th, so I mounted those on patterned paper with a stripe of washi tape on top, to provide some uniformity across the album. Each page still has a lot of empty space, so they need more embellishment.  I completed the first seven pages and called it a night at 1am.


Here's a little slide show of the pages I've done so far. Click on any photo to view a larger version.



 If you're on a mobile device or it's not working on your computer, you can also view my gallery.

Obviously, I've just gotten started, but this was a huge step for me.  Now I know what I need to do next, instead of just flailing around trying to get going. Tonight I'll start printing photos, which are the real "meat" of the album.

I know all the serious scrapbooking folks are done with their December Daily albums, but I'm trying to remember that it's not a race. The process of putting it together is so fun for me, and I'll share more over the next few weeks.  My goal is to have it done by the time we take down the Christmas tree in early January.

What projects are you tackling now that Christmas is over?

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job girl, it looks wonderful!!
    Crazy right, how we let ourselfs get stressed out because of a fun hobby....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The starting is always the worse part so you're doing great!

    This week, I'm rushing to finish my last few books to make my reading goal for the year (yes, very nerdy but I love goals) and then in between I'm doing my 2012 goals review process and starting 2013 planning :)

    It's all fun around here!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you used the trim!
    And I am loving the smaller sizes I am seeing this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that binder! I am still shocked and amazed that you have the time and drive to do these projects to completion. If it were me, I'd have a bunch of half-finished pieces of scrapbook paper sitting around. And glue sticks - I could see leaving glue sticks all over my house. I'm just that kind of person.

    My projects? Find some storage solutions for the kiddie toys that are taking over my living room, blog more regularly, and keep learning about photography (starting a new class in January!).

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got so much done already!!! Yay you!!!!

    What did you do to the front cover? DId you leave it plain?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic!! Starting is more than half of the battle:) Can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did the hard part starting, and it looks GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is looking lovely, I really like how you did the spine and added the book plate. Don't worry you're not that far behind, I only finished 2011 DD in November and it looks like I am running on the same schedule this year LOL.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave me your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

sharing is nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails