Thursday, March 07, 2013

The Zebra Said Shhh: A New Kids' Book

I've been reading the Wandering Scientist's blog for the past few years, ever since coming across her insightful comments on AskMoxie. She likes to protect her identity so she blogs anonymously. Something she wrote in an older post made me think we had crossed paths at one point, so I emailed her through her blog to ask about it.

And in that way that the Internet is a small world, it turns out we did cross paths and I remember meeting her. Funny how that happens.

In addition to writing her blog, working full time as a project manager and raising 2 kids, she's written a children's book called The Zebra Said Shhh. It's a story she's told her daughter for years, and it's now available both in electronic form and in paperback on Amazon. How cool is that?!

It's a cute story - the zebra is tired and wants to sleep, but all the other animals in the zoo are awake and milling about, doing their animal things. It's got lovely illustrations, done by Tamia Sheldon, and I love the predictable structure of the book as it goes through each of the animals twice - once to talk about what they were doing when they weren't tired, and once to show they were all sleeping. Perfect for toddlers!

The level of this book is also perfect for me to read to both of the girls together (5 months and 3.5yo) - not too long and wordy for the baby to sit still, yet not too basic for my preschooler.

I can't call this an official book review, since I haven't yet read it to T. My Kindle is old and doesn't have a color screen, and that wouldn't do this lovely book justice.  Once we get the paperback version,  I know she'll love it because we often have conversations about different zoo animals and what they say, where they live, and what they look like. 

Thanks to Cloud and Xist Publishing for giving me the opportunity to read this book, and congratulations again to Cloud for this cool accomplishment!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for featuring the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks:) Always looking for good books for my baby's collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun book, I miss reading to my kids now that they are older :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave me your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

sharing is nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails