Friday, April 12, 2013

Shake it off

I am so tired.  All the time.  Not because I'm not getting enough sleep - nights are decent around here - the baby is (mostly) sleeping in her crib now, with a few wakings at night, but better than the all night nurse-fest we had going on a few weeks ago.

But this staying-at-home-with-2-kids thing?  Freakin' exhausting. Even on the good days. By the time everyone is in bed, which thankfully is no later than 7pm around here, I'M ready to turn in for the night.  My brain and my whole body is just DONE.

I've felt pretty crappy the past few days so I think I've got a virus or a cold threatening to break, or maybe it's just the crazy pollen thing going on here. I'm also getting NO exercise. T is on Spring Break, and even when she wasn't, it was mostly too rainy to walk, or we all just got up too damn late to take the 20 min walk to school. (It's less than a 2 minute drive, I think.)

I know, you just read 3 paragraphs about how tired I am. That wasn't much fun, was it?

T at the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival
Oh Say Can You See?

On the bright side, we had An Outing on Wednesday. Since it's Spring Break, my Big Girl is home all day, which is lovely. So I suggested the Tulip Festival about an hour north of Seattle, and being game for most adventures, she readily agreed. I love that kind of enthusiasm - great for my ego. I'll have to store that up to get me through ages 13-17, I suppose.

Despite the crazy traffic and the ridiculously cold, windy, rainy weather, we had a good time.  T got her face painted with a remarkably detailed set of tulips, M napped in the car both ways (timed carefully by yours truly), and no one melted down during lunch at the yummy Skagit Brewery.

I also remembered to take the Big Camera and got some good shots of the girls, and even a few tulip shots, though the "nifty fifty" prime lens I use isn't great for sweeping landscape tulip field shots.

If I had thought about the outing too much before we left, I likely would have decided it was "too hard" to get everyone together and go by myself. So I didn't think, I just decided. And it worked out great.

12 comments:

  1. First, that photo is awesome. Nice job!!

    Second, I'm so so sorry about the exhaustion, and I totally get it. A few months ago, I sat on the train next to a man who was telling me he just didn't understand why his wife would choose to work when she didn't absolutely have to. He said, "It would be better for her body to stay home and rest." Silly, silly man. I explained that, at least in my line of work, it is more restful to go to work than to be around little ones who need you CONSTANTLY. Anyway, it's a tough job, so your exhaustion is completely understandable.

    Can you get a babysitter for a couple hours maybe a few times per week so you can get in some Anandi time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have plenty of 'Anandi time' if I wasn't going to bed at 8pm ;) Both the babes usually stay asleep once they're down.

      But my parents will be here in a month, so that's good, and part of the issue this week is the combo of me getting sick + T being on Spring Break.

      So I think it'll get easier...

      Delete
  2. Child care is extremely physically & mentally exhausting, especially if you're on your own. On the weekends, by the end of the day, I am bone-weary...in a way I last remember from 12-hour ER shifts. Lots of being on your feet, negotiating with unreasonable people, trying to do multiple things at once, no time to eat/rest/pee for yourself, and the absolute unpredictable nature of it...yup, very tiring. Definitely try to sneak in some time away if you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol at "negotiating with unreasonable people". That pretty much sums it up right there :)

      Yeah, I've felt this tired after a hard day at work (admittedly not on my feet), but only rarely. This is a whole new kind of everyday tired. I've been taking my vitamins and downing Emergen-C like crazy ;)

      Delete
  3. I have no answers for you. I keep thinking all my blood tests must be lying about my thyroid levels. The problem must be physical...

    But, that tulip festival looks really cool. So glad you went! This was us last week with Round Top, though it wasn't really for the kids. It looks like you guys are in Holland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have noticed that I feel better when I remember to take my iron supplement *and* vitamin D. My vit D levels were ridiculously low the last time I checked.

      Delete
  4. Yes, no-one ever tells you how exhausting looking after kids will be! Of course, you probably wouldn't believe them until you had your own anyway. I have left my hubby alone with the kids for a couple of days before, and afterwards he said he was very glad to be going back to work for the rest!

    I just keep going, like you say, one day they will be un-enthusiastic and not want to know us so we have to appreciate it while we can! Gorgeous photo! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, it's definitely not something you can explain to someone else without kids - how it's both horribly exhausting and demoralizing (sometimes) but also the most awesome thing ever ;) I had no idea what we were getting into!

      Delete
  5. It is hard. When I had my daughter my son was only 18 months. It was hard! And I still had him in pre-school for 5 hs 3 days a week. That was my breathing room. I don't know what I would've done without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's nice to have 1 on 1 time, too, though I have to put some effort into scheduling it with my 3yo since the baby is always around.

      Delete
  6. I think adventures are key to surviving days at home with the kids. Hardest stint I had with them was when I was home alone with my three during Hurricane Sandy. We had no power and couldn't really go outside with the rain and wind. Those days were trying. When you can get in the car and go to the zoo or a playground the time goes much faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adventures are definitely good, but they don't fix the tiredness (for me, anyway). We actually don't have issues with needing to kill time, but I do find we have more fun when there's been more planning, whether it is a string of home-based activities or some Big Outing.

      Delete

I love comments, so please leave me your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

sharing is nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails