Sunday, May 13, 2007

Tonight I think I see what it's all about

I must be getting old because I am exhausted today after coming home around 1am after the two Vienna Teng shows at the Triple Door last night. It also doesn't help that it's miserable gray cloudy outside.

The concert was good - my seats for both shows were pretty amazing. For the second show they were 3 rows from the front. For the first show, I "only" got there at 5:30 (doors opened at 5) so I was seated in the middle of the theater. I brought a book to read since Dre wasn't going to show up until just before Vienna came on, and felt really weird being there by myself amidst all the couples. But as always, the food, wine and service were fantastic at the Triple Door so it felt like quite a treat to be there and just have time to chill.

Here's the setlist (I actually remembered to bring a notebook this time!).

7pm show - seemed very short:
Enough to Go By
Whatever You Want
Gravity (newer version)
Unwritten Letter #1
Nothing Without You
Pontchartrain (wow)
Recessional
Blue Caravan
Hope on Fire
1Br/1Ba + Workin 9 to 5
Harbor
Soon Love Soon
Arizona - Ellery cover


10pm show:
Whatever You Want
Gravity (Utah Rock Formation version)
Unwritten Letter #1
Nothing Without You
That's Where I'll Be - Brian Webb cover
Homecoming (Walter's Song)
Recessional
Hope on Fire
1Br/1Ba w/ interlude of whatever song Kanye West samples on "Golddigger"
Transcontinental 1:30am
I Don't Feel So Well
Harbor
City Hall
Soon Love Soon


The show was great, and the drummer, Alex Wong, was incredible. He played about 6 different percussion instruments, including the wooden box he was sitting on (!). The sound was a bit wonky, even to my amateur ears - some microphone feedback at times, and that weird fuzzy sound you get sometimes with really loud bass.

I really like seeing Vienna play with the whole band (violin, cello, percussion) - it makes for a much more rockin' show. When TJ and I saw her at Chop Suey last year opening for Duncan Sheik, it was just her and her keyboard, and I think that's why TJ came away with the impression that her songs all sound the same and are too mellow for his liking. I think he would have liked this show a lot better.

Special props to the opener Jenny Owen Youngs, who made some hilarious in-between-song comments, and had a kickass folk rendition of "Hot in Herre" by Nelly. I guess you had to be there :). I bought it on iTunes today. Her voice sounds a lot like Beth Orton (less ethereal) and maybe a bit like Shawn Colvin and KT Tunstall? It's got that sort of bluesy, "thick" quality I can't quite put my finger on. Not exactly to my taste, but still enjoyable.

Have I already professed my love for the Triple Door? Jenna pointed out that she felt like she was getting old because she liked that sort of concert venue the best, vs. the smoky bar where you stand up and get beer spilled on you. Me too. And if that's what it means to get old, I'm ok with that :)

Reflecting on the concert today, I didn't like it as much as past VT shows at the Triple Door - she didn't talk as much between songs, and that's honestly one of my favorite things about seeing artists live - the little tidbits you find out from them about their songs. Then again, she's been touring with these songs for a while and it must be difficult to play the same stuff night after night and keep the audience conversation fresh.

Well, Happy Mother's Day to Amma, Paati, Mom, Granny and Grandma Creath. Wow, getting married has certainly increased the number of people to celebrate on Mother's Day! Hope you all have a fantastic day.

Everyone else: call your mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please leave me your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

sharing is nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails