Friday, June 22, 2007

I'm not angry anymore

Yesterday was one of the most frustrating days I've had at work in a long time.

It's a good thing for me when I'm wrapped up in work - makes me feel engaged, like I enjoy what I'm doing. If I could leave it there at 5pm and not care about it, that probably means I'm not in the right job.

But yesterday's frustration wouldn't stay at work. It came home with me, ate dinner with me, went to the Goodwill store with me to look for cheap jewelry to disassemble and recycle, made a necklace with me, and went to bed with me. It's still lingering in the morning.

Given that I only have 2 weeks left at this job, I shouldn't be so tied up in these problems. So I'm making a conscious decision to let it go. I'll drop in at work for a little while and attend our team lunch, and then go meet Lisa for coffee.

And on that note of leaving things behind, here's what I made yesterday:


At Goodwill, I found this luxuriously cheesy, giant "pearl" choker. (I wish I had taken a picture of it before I took it apart). The beads are unusually heavy, so I think they're glass and not plastic. The string they were on was also carefully knotted between each pearl, a nice touch, except when you're trying to take it apart.

I had these green glass beads from India that reminded me of leaves, so I thought I'd make a sort of abstract floral pattern (leaf, flower, leaf). I tried a bunch of different beads in between the "flowers" and ended up with the small jade ones I bought on EBay a few weeks ago. I made the necklace as a 16" relaxed choker first, and then realized that those huge beads looked ridiculous as a choker. (On me, anyway). So I took it all apart and restrung it as a longer necklace (the official term is matinee-length, I believe).

The new tripod works pretty well - definitely worth the $6 I paid for it. I'm still struggling with the lighting though. I think the necklace still looks better in person. Got any tips for me on still photography?

1 comment:

  1. It was great to see you. We can't wait until you are on the west side so that we can plan dinners and trivia.

    I'd be happy to help you out with lighting for your jewelry (which looks great by the way). White foam core and a garage light from the hardware store is basically all you need.

    Talk to you soon. Let me know if you need another coffee break.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave me your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

sharing is nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails