March was an exciting month for us. T said goodbye to her daycare friends and teachers and started her new preschool. TJ celebrated his
|Feb 27-Mar 4 - endings and beginnings|
|Mar 5-11 - short on photos!|
|Mar 12-18 - art projects and Kirkland waterfront|
|Mar 19-25 - more art projects and Canlis|
|Mar 26-31 - Baby X' goes public and TJ quits|
I debated just buying another binder which didn't need any covering, but decided to get over my fear, and try *something*. If it gets trashed, I can get a new binder later. So I used some of the Project Life coordinating cardstock, some phenomenal adhesive sheets from ThermOWeb, letter stickers, rub-on transfers, and a bunch of Mod Podge decoupage glue to seal the whole thing.
|sometimes a girl just has to face her fear and pick up the damn glue|
Not bad for a first try, but it wasn't perfect. I didn't cover the entire binder surface with those adhesive sheets because they're expensive, so when I used the decoupage glue, the paper that wasn't stuck to the sheets bubbled a bit. However, it looked better once everything dried, thought not as perfect as I would like. I cut the ribbon for the edges too short so it's already starting to fray at the edges. A better trick would have been to fold it over the bottom, or use Fray-check.
I did the same thing with the inside covers and the back, with varying degrees of success. The back bubbled horribly and looks awful. I tried to sand it a bit to make it look "distressed" and now it just looks like it got run over by Bubba's truck. I'm not sure what to do about that, and whether a second layer of paper will make it better or worse. Sigh.
But I love this project. It's gotten me to jump headfirst into scrapbooking. Since I'm capturing a little of T's preschool work each week (usually), I don't feel bad about throwing away the steady stream of papers coming into our house. I'm starting to explore all the great crafty resources online - there are people who offer free printable cards that fit perfectly into the slots of the page protectors, as well as those who post great ideas about *what* to put in if you're short on interesting stuff or totally flaked out on taking photos that week.
One thing I discovered after perusing others' Project Life layouts online - I'm primarily approaching this like an annotated photo album, while other more seasoned scrapbookers are much more crafty about the whole thing. They have tons of journaling, embellishments, and whitespace, while I primarily fill the slots with photos and then use what's left to tell the story. I've noticed as I get more practice, my crafty skills are increasing and I'm having more fun with the non-photo slots.
So yay. And every week, as I get closer to reaching that elusive state of "being caught up", I feel a pretty hefty sense of accomplishment. I have tangible evidence of my craftiness to hold in my hands. *That* is why I do this.